Modified from my father's chicken curry recipe. Makes a portion sufficient for 5-8 servings
- 3 lbs. cut up chicken pieces (legs/thighs are best) no skin
- 3 Tbsp. oil / ghee
- 2 medium onions chopped finely
- 1.5 tsp. garam masala
- 1 tsp. ground coriander seed
- 1.5 tsp. turmeric
- 4 cloves crushed garlic
- 1-2 Tbsp. finely chopped ginger
- 4 large tomatoes chopped fine or 1 can chopped tomatoes
- chopped cilantro
- 1 pt. plain yogurt, greek style yogurt makes a thicker more even sauce.
- optional 2-3 potatoes cut into 1.5-2" pieces
- Brown the chicken pieces in part of the oil a few pieces at a time then remove to another bowl.
- Add the onions and fry on medium-high heat until soft and transparent
- Add turmeric, garam masala, coriander, salt, ginger, and garlic. Fry together for ~1 minute
- Add chicken pieces and stir together until spices coat the chicken pieces.
- Add chopped tomatoes, and stir well. You may need to add a little water at this point.
- Simmer lightly for about 1 hour until meat is tender and potatoes are cooked. Optionally add potatoes after 20 minutes.
- Let sit for 15 minutes to cool slightly, then stir in yogurt and add cilantro.