Modified from my father's eggplant curry recipe.
- 1 medium sized eggplant cut to ~3/4" X 1" X 1" pieces. (will not brown if left sitting in cold water)
- 2 medium potatoes cut about the same.
- Garlic chutney
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 heaping teaspoon ground coriander
- 3 cloves garlic
All mashed together with morter and pestle
- 3 Tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. black mustard seeds
- 1 heaping tsp. turmeric
- 1½ tsp. salt.
- 1 large tomato chopped.
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon guice
- 1 tsp. salt
- Heat oil in pan and pop mustard seeds briefly (careful as they will jump around. It should smell vaguely like popcorn).
- Add turmeric and potatoes. Stir well.
- Add 1½ cups water, and cook 5-7 minutes alone.
- Add Garlic Chutney and 1½ tsp. salt.
- Add well drained eggplant and mix.
- Add some more water if necessary so that all eggplant is touching water.
- Cook for 20 minutes (lower heat once boiling) covered or until potatoes and eggplant are soft.
- Turn off heat and add tomato and lemon juice.
- Taste and correct lemon juice and salt.
- Add cilantro just before serving.